Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
CSS or Cascading Style Sheets, is a language used by web pages to help keep information in the correct display format. It can be used for font, size, color, spacing, border, the location of HTML information on a web page, and the language format can be used across multiple web pages to maintain a continuous look. HTML on the other hand, is primarily used for providing document structure.
The Differences Between HTML and CSS
Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML) is used to dictate content and structure of a webpage.
Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) is used to modify the design and display of HTML elements.
Uses For CSS
There are a few uses for CSS. CSS allows for design modifications to include colors, fonts & layout of headings, text, tables, lists photos, etc. It also allows for display adaption across multiple platforms or different device types.
Uses For HTML
HTML on the other hand allows for the publishing of content online, retrieving online information and designing forms for various functions (searching for information, product ordering, etc. HTML also allows for embedding various applications into their documents (spreadsheets, video clips, and sound clips.)
Here are some advantages of CSS:
- Search Engine Optimization: Cascading Style Sheets feature much simpler code that is clean and easy to read. This helps search engine crawlers read your website. In return, your website will begin to have higher rankings with the search engines. Better rankings means more visibility on the website, which also means more visitors and increased sales.
- Faster Page Speeds: CSS has a lightweight layout versus other table layouts in which eat up more bandwidth. The style sheet is also stored in cached memory so pages will load faster.
- Easy Maintenance: Because a CSS layout or style can be used across multiple webpages, you can make changes that will automatically update all webpages simultaneously.
- Superior to Html: It has more presentation features and capabilities than HTML, that also look much better.
- Compatible across multiple devices and web browsers: CSS can manipulate the presentation of HTML layouts so that there are various viewing styles for desktops, mobile phones, laptops or tablets. This makes your website easily accessible to potential customers.
It can save you an immense amount of time and enable you to design sites in a new way. CSS is a must for anyone working with web design.